forever

等级:Senior
文章:384
积分:3400
门派:张家港
注册:2008-2-29 21:58:10

New Year Resolution
New Year Resolution

Hoping to excite student interest in our reading center, I asked each teacher to write a New Year‘s resolution on a special form and send it to me. After I posted the resolutions on the bulletin board in the reading center, one young teacher stopped by, looked at them for a few minutes, then left abruptly. Passing two teachers on their way in, she stormed, "My resolution isn‘t posted - and mine was one of the first ones in!" I couldn‘t help but overhear, and the tone of her voice sent me flying to my desk in rearch of a misplaced resolution. Looking rapidly through stacks of papers, I uncovered hers. It read, "I resolve not to let little things upset me. "

新年决心书

为了激励同学们对我们阅览中心的兴趣,我请每位老师在一张特制的表格上写一篇新年决心书交给我。我将决心书张贴在阅览中心的布告牌上之后,一位年轻老师停下来看了几分钟,便抽身走开了。她越过两位老师闯了进来,大发雷霆道:“我的决心书竟然没有贴出来-而我的是第一批交上来的。”我在旁边听到了,看她气势汹汹的样子,我吓得赶紧跑回办公室去找那份放错了地方的决心书,飞快浏览了几叠纸之后,我打开了她的那一份,上面写着:我决心不再为一些小事而烦恼。

=============================================================================

(2)One Point

Hanging in the hallway at Whites High School in Wabash, Ind., and the basketball team pictures from the past 40 years. A player in the center of the front row in each picture holds a basketball identifying the year -"62-63", "63-64", "64-65", etc.

One day I spotted a freshman looking curiously at the photos. Turning to me, he said, "Isn‘t it strange how the teams always lost by one point?"

一分之差

位于印第安那州瓦巴西的怀兹中学,其门厅里悬挂着过去四十年间样篮球队的照片。每幅照片前排中间的队员举着一个篮球,上面标明年份-“62-63”,“63-64”,“64-65”等等。

一天,我看到一个新生很困惑地看着照片。他朝我转过身来,说道:“多奇怪呀,这些队都是以一分之差输掉的!"

(3)Promotion

Our son, Chris, is a premed student at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro. He is fortunate to have a job in the research lab, where they are studying Lyme disease. Recently he called home and told us that he had received a promotion. "Great!" I said. "You can always use more money."

There was a slight pause before Chris responded, "Well, I didn‘t exactly get more money. But they did give me more keys."

提升

我们的儿子克里斯是位于斯泰兹波罗的南佐治亚医科大学的预科生。他很幸运地在研究淋巴疾病的科研室找到了一份工作。最近,他给家里打电话,告诉我们他得到了提升。“太好了,”我说!“你可以多花一些钱了。”

克里斯停顿了一会儿,才回答说:“嗯,准确地说我倒没有多拿钱。但是他们确实多给了我几把钥匙。”

(4)Difference

"I can always tell a graduate class from an undergraduate class," observed the instructor in one of my graduate engineering courses at California State University in Los Angeles. "When I say, ‘Good afternoon,‘ the undergraduates respond, ‘Good afternoon." But the graduate students just write it down."

区 别

“研究生班和本科生很容易就能区别开来,”在洛杉矶加利福利亚州立大学给我们研究生上工程学课的老师如此说。“我说‘下午好’,本科生们回答说‘下午好’。研究生们则把我说的话记在笔记本上。”

(5)Plagiarism

A friend of mine who teachs European history at Washington University in St. Louis tell about the time he spotted a plagiarized term paper. He summoned the student to his office. "This isn‘t your work." he said. "Someone typed it for you straight out of the encyclopedia.

"You cann‘t prove that!" the student sputtered.

My friend amiled and show him the paper. Circled in red was: "Also see article on communism."

抄 袭

我有个朋友在圣路易斯的华盛顿大学教欧洲历史,他说有一次他发现了一篇抄袭的学期论文。他把那个学生叫到了办公室。“这不是你写的,”他说,“有人帮你从百科全书上原封不动地打印了下来。”

“你没有证据。”那学生气急败坏地说。

我朋友笑了,他把论文拿给他看。用红笔圈出来的是:“也可参阅共产主义一文。”

(6)All Right

Hurrying my 11-year old daughter to school, I made a right turn at a red light when it was prohibited. "Uh-oh," I said, realizing my mistake. "I just make an illegal turn."

"I guess it‘s all right." my daughter replied, "The police car behind us did the same thing."

没关系

我赶着开车将11岁的女儿送到学校去,在红灯处右拐了,而那是不允许的(译注:在一些国家如英国,其交通规则是车辆左行的,与我国相反)。“啊噢,”意识到犯了错误,我说。“我刚才拐弯是违章的。”

“我想那没关系的,”女儿回答说:“我们后面的警车也同样拐了弯。”

(7)My Husband Will Be Home Soon

A married man was visiting his "girlfriend" when she requested that he shave his beard.

"Oh James, I like your beard, but I would really love to see your handsome face."

James replied, "My wife loves this beard, I couldn‘t possibly do it, she would kill me!!"

"Oh please?" the girlfriend asked again, in a sexy little voice...

"Oh really, I can‘t," he replies..."My wife loves this beard!!"

The girlfriend asked once more, and he sighs and finally gives in. That night James crawls into bed with his wife while she was sleeping.

The wife is awakened somewhat, feels his face and replies "Oh Michael, you shouldn‘t be here, my husband will be home soon!"

我丈夫马上就要回来了

一个已婚男人去拜访他的“女朋友”时,女朋友要求他剃去胡须。

“噢,詹姆斯,我喜欢你的胡子,但我更喜欢看到你英俊的面孔。”

詹姆斯回答说,“我的妻子喜欢我的胡子,所以我不可能剃掉它,否则她会杀了我的。”

“噢,我求你了,”女朋友用一种低沉的、性感的声音又一次说道。

“可是,我不能,”他回答道,“我的妻子喜欢这胡子。”

在女朋友再三请求下,他终于屈服同意了。夜里,在妻子熟睡时,詹姆斯爬上了床。

妻子朦朦胧胧地摸了摸他的脸说道,“噢,迈克尔,你不应该在这里,我的丈夫很快就要回来了。”

(8)Who Is This

My two sister and I were all away at various colleges at the same time. One day, after facing one crisis too many and tired of being treated like just another undergraduate, I phoned home for some consolation and understanding of my unique problems.

When my dad answered, I immediately launched into my litany of frustrations with college life. As I paused to catch my breath, he said, "O.K., honey...now, fist of all, who is this?"

你是哪一个?

我和两个妹妹同时离开家去不同的大学读书。经历了太多的危机,也厌倦了受到与其他大学生相同的对待之后,有一天我给家里打了个电话,就我独有的问题寻求安慰和理解。

爸爸接起电话后,我立刻开始历数我大学生活中的挫折。当我停下来歇口气时,爸爸说:“好啦,亲爱的...现在,首先告诉我,你是哪一个?”

(9)

(10)Prepare Yourself

A story around campus has it taht a student once sent a telegram to his parents reading: "Mom - flunked all courses. Kicked out of school. Prepare Pop."

Two days later he received a response: "Pop prepared. Prepare yourself."

自己做好准备

校园里流传着这样的故事:一个学生一次给父母拍了一份电报,上面写着:“妈妈-我所有功课都不及格,被学校开除。让爸爸做好准备。”

两天以后,他收到了回电:“爸爸已准备好。你自己做好准备吧!”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
君子之过也,如日月之食也,过也,人皆见之;更也,人皆仰之!

发表于:09-4-22 10:40:32
  编辑|引用|
我要回复 | 快速回复

标题: 
内容: 
TubesChinaForum