forever

等级:Senior
文章:384
积分:3400
门派:张家港
注册:2008-2-29 21:58:10

偶遇陌生的天使
By Varda One

My teeth screamed. I couldn‘t neglect them any longer. I finally ignored my fear of dentists and decided to get them fixed. But how? I was a college sophomore and barely supported myself with part-time jobs.

Maybe I could fix the worst one. I flipped open the Yellow Pages and called the first dentist within walking distance. The receptionist told me to come right over. As I hurried across the campus, I forgot the pain in worrying about how I would pay the bill.

In a few minutes I was in a chair being examined by a dentist who said, "Hmm!" as he surveyed the wreckage of my mouth. "Your teeth are in bad shape."

"I already know that," I snapped, in a smart-aleck way to hide my fear.

"But don‘t worry, I‘m going to fix them."

"No, you‘re not. I can‘t afford to pay you." I started climbing out of the chair.

"What are you doing?"

"I told you, I have no money."

"You‘re a student at the university, aren‘t you?"

What difference did that make? "Yes……"

"You‘re going to graduate in a few years, aren‘t you?"

"I hope so."

"And then you expect to get a job, don‘t you?"

"That‘s my plan."

"Well, then you‘ll pay me. Meantime, you concentrate on your classes and leave the dentistry to me."

I stared at him. He really meant it. He calmly picked up his tools and fixed the aching cavity.

From that day on, I saw him every week until my teeth were in good shape. And he kept them that way with regular checkups. After graduation, I got a job and settled his bill in a few months.In the 40 years following, I‘ve learned to call this man a "woodwork angel." These are strangers who appear out of nowhere - out of the woodwork - when I need help. They‘ve lent and given me money, materials or equipment; they‘ve taught me skills and helped me organize groups; sometimes they‘ve rescued me from danger or making a big mistake.

So, dentist dear, wherever you are, bless you and thank you again!

Note:

sophomore n. 大学二年级学生

flip v. 掷,弹

receptionist n. 招待员

survey v. 检查

wreckage n. 遭难

smart-aleck adj. 自作聪明的

concentrate (on) v. 集中

dentistry n. 牙科

cavity n. 洞,空穴
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
君子之过也,如日月之食也,过也,人皆见之;更也,人皆仰之!