forever

等级:Senior
文章:384
积分:3400
门派:张家港
注册:2008-2-29 21:58:10

In search of brotherhood 兄弟情谊

In search of brotherhood 兄弟情谊

I am not really sure when our 1)boundaries went up. Men tend to build walls quietly, without
warning. All I know is that when I looked up, me and my buddy weren‘t talking anymore. Somehow we
had become like strangers.

This 2)rift--a simple misunderstanding 3)magnified by male ego--didn‘t happen overnight. Men
aren‘t like some women I know; we don‘t announce that we are cutting each other off. Instead, we
just slowly starve the relationship of anything 4)substantive until it fades away.

Me and my buddy had let our friendship 5)evaporate to a point where we hadn‘t spoken in almost
two years. Then one morning my mother called me at work and shared something she‘d heard about
him. "You know, his wife is sick with cancer," she said.

I had to close my office door. I don‘t cry often, but the news broke me down. I thought of his
wedding day four years ago and a picture I snapped of him 6)beaming at me as he wrapped his bride
in his arms. I remember telling my wife that I‘d never seen him so happy, so sure about
something.

As it hit me that he now faced the possibility of losing his love, a deep sense of shame came
over me. I wondered how he was coping and who was helping him through this crisis. I thought how
devastated I‘d be if my own wife were suffering. And I wondered whether he and I could ever be
tight again.

We had always been like family, sharing an unusual history that dated back to the turn of the
century when our great-grandparents were 7)pals growing up in a small town not far from
Nashville. Both our families migrated north to Detroit for better-paying jobs, and remained close
through the generations.

When I was born 36 years ago, he was among my first playmates. As we grew older, we became what
we called true boys--real 8)aces, spending most of our time together running the streets, hanging
at bars and clubs, watching games and chasing women. Our friendship came so easily that we 9)took
it for granted, and when it began to 10)unravel, neither of us had a clue how to mend it.

What Real Men Are--and Aren‘t

Like so many brothers, I have always been 11)clumsy talking openly to other men about matters
beyond box scores, babes or general 12)BS on the job. Not that I believe male 13)kinship is for
"soft" or "weak" or "gay" types. It‘s just that expressing my most personal thoughts to another
man, no matter how close we are, feels awkward at times, unnatural.

Growing up, I learned from the males in my life that real men are tough, independent, 14)
dispassionate. Women, while they may possess these 15)attributes, are also allowed to be tender,
16)vulnerable and 17)compassionate. But I am learning that men, too, must grant ourselves more
freedom in defining how we communicate. If we don‘t, we risk losing what‘s most important to us-
-our women, families, friends and even ourselves.

A few years ago my father and I went to the 18)Million Man March. It was a rare opportunity for
us to spend an entire day together, amid the 19)throngs of other Black fathers and sons and
friends. For hours we stood on the 20)Mall in the 21)crisp October air while the world 22)
marveled at our historic moment.

There were many things I could have shared with my father that day--mistakes I‘d made in my life,
triumphs big and small, times he‘d made me proud and times he‘d disappointed me. Instead, we both
stood there, 23)soaking in the event and 24)retreating into our own thoughts. Around us I noticed
a profound silence.

My memory of that day will always be somewhat bittersweet because it revealed that beneath a
dramatic 25)fa?ade of togetherness, Black men--myself included--mostly chose to stand apart.

Most of us brothers understand the nature of 26)intimacy. Through the women in our lives, we have
witnessed the 27)bounty of wisdom, counsel and encouragement that comes channeling through their
tight female networks.

A few years ago, when word spread that my wife, Robyn, was pregnant with our first child, the
phone rang constantly for months with female relatives and friends eager to talk about everything
from breast-feeding to keeping the 28)marital flame burning with an infant in the house. It
became clear that sisters are able to benefit from a deep 29)reservoir of insight offered to them
by other wise and generous sisters.

30)Transcending the 31)Mythology of Our 32)Masculinity

My 33)impending role as new father brought up a host of issues, too. I was trying to navigate
Robyn‘s mild mood 34)swings and a much-altered sex life brought on by her 35)hormonal and
physical changes. And I was 36)grappling with how a new baby would affect our finances.

With a needy newborn, would we ever get out of the house, or should we plan on life becoming a
blur of working and changing 37)diapers? But the fathers I knew seemed caught 38)off guard by my
questions, offering little more than a pat on the back and a vow to share a congratulatory cigar
once the baby was born. I realized that discussing our experiences might have required us to
reveal shortcomings or failures and compromise that 39)fragile thing we call our masculinity.

It‘s tough to transcend the powerful mythology of masculinity, to imagine our heroes as anything
less than 40)solitary 41)dudes who depended only on God and their own wits and brawn to triumph.

We just can‘t picture Nelson Mandela, during his 27-year 42)imprisonment, turning to a cell mate
and 43)confiding: "Man, I‘ve got this weird feeling. I hope Winnie ain‘t cheatin‘ on me." Or
Martin Luther King, Jr., after the March on Washington, mumbling to 44)Ralph Abernathy, "I was so
nervous speaking in front of all those people." Or even Michael Jordan, during his brief venture
into pro baseball, 45)lamenting over a beer, "It hurts when fans tell me I suck at this. Am I
really that bad?"

Though we may rarely admit it, men are 46)plagued with many of the same doubts, fears and
insecurities as women. And to survive our humiliating legacy--the 47)enslavement of our families,
the rape and 48)exploitation of our women, the 49)auctioning off of our children and our 50)
groping for dignity in the shadowy freedoms that form our reality today--Black men have
withdrawn, adopting a vow of silence.

But we can‘t expect to become better husbands, fathers, friends and everything else we say we
want to become without talking to one another. Our definition of manhood must include having the
confidence and trust in our brothers to share our most intimate feelings.

Brick by brick we must 51)deconstruct the fortress that has kept our pain, insecurities and even
our dreams locked away for fear of 52)scorn or ridicule. We must unburden ourselves and our sons
from a warped and limited notion of masculinity, from thinking that intimacy is the exclusive
terrain of women and that showing any emotion beyond anger makes us 53)sissies. Like women, we
have our own rich bank of wisdom and insight, but the vaults have been closed much too long.

Bridging Time, Bridging Distance

The day after my mother called, my wife and I drove over to visit my buddy and his family. It was
a sweet reunion, warm and easy. We all embraced and apologized for letting so much time slip
between us.

His wife looked frail, but her spirits were up. For the first time they saw our 2-year-old boy
and marveled at the blessing. Their little girl, 2 1/2, instantly 54)took to our son, and the two
darted off together.

With yet another generation of our families starting a new relationship, me and my friend stepped
outside, hoping to rebuild our old one. As he sat beside me on the patio, I could see the anguish
in his face. Knowing that a pat on the back simply wasn‘t enough to touch all he was going
through, I put my hand on his. We both knew there was no longer a place for 55)bravado, false
pride or ego in our friendship. Yet for a moment we just sat there, not really knowing how to
begin. "So how are you survivin‘, my brother?" I asked finally.
He looked at me directly. "Damn, man," he said, his jaw tightening. "This s--- is real. It‘s been
hard."

He stood up and paced for a moment, then sat back down. And then we began to talk, about our
lives, ourselves, in a way we had never done before. He spoke about the sudden trip to the
hospital, the 56)grim 57)diagnosis, the countless tests and surgery, and his own pain at watching
his wife suffer while his daughter tried to figure out why.

I told him how glad I was to be back in touch with him, and that I would be there for him, to
talk, to laugh, to help bear this load. When I told him that, he seemed suddenly 58)energized. He
sat back in his chair, gazed up at the sky and began telling me some of the lessons he‘d been
learning about faith and courage and pushing forward even when things look 59)bleak. As he shared
these things with me, I listened closely and learned something from my boy about what it really
takes to be a man.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

很难说清从什么时候开始我们之间开始渐渐疏远的。男人间的隔阂总是产生于无声无息之间,事先没有任何的
预兆。直到一天蓦然回首时才发现我们不再促膝倾谈,疏远得有些形同陌路了。

这种隔阂并不会在一夜之间突然形成,它是男人的自我中心在作祟。男人不会像我认识的一些女人一样宣称断
绝彼此的往来,他们会渐渐地淡化彼此的关系,直到这感情慢慢地烟消云散。

我与朋友的关系就处在这样的淡却中,两年来,我们没说过一句话。直到一天早上,在上班的时候母亲打来一
个电话,告诉我她刚刚知道的关于他的消息:“他的妻子患了癌症。”

我关上了房门,眼泪流了下来,我很少哭,但这消息让我很心痛。四年前参加他婚礼的情景还历历在目,当时
他把新娘拥在怀中,对着我的镜头灿烂地笑。我还记得后来对我妻子说,我从没见过他那么肯定、那么幸福。

如今,想到他可能会由此失去爱人,我忽然觉得很惭愧。他该如何面对,又有谁会帮他共渡难关呢?如果自己
处在这样的境况,该是多么绝望!我们能不能重拾旧谊呢?我不由问自己。